By Freddie G. Lazaro
BURGOS, Ilocos Norte – Power generated from the 150 megawatt (MW) Burgos wind farm will be lower than its maximum capacity during summer but it would remain sufficient to meet households’ power requirement.
Richard Tantoco, president and chief operating officer of the Energy Development Corp, said power generated by by Burgos wind farm is expected to drop in April and May when winds are slow.
“The wind farm contributes to power supply generation from November towards the end of March.. but winds are expected to slow down in April and May. We could still generate power but not the full 150 MW,” he said during a visit at the wind facility last week.
Tantoco, however, said construction of the 4MW solar farm in the same area where the wind power plant is erected will be completed by March.
“The solar farm will fully generate power during the sizzling summer months,” he added.
The Burgos wind farm which started its commercial operation in November is currently Southeast Asia’s biggest wind power facility.
It has 50 wind turbines with each tower equivalent to a 25-storey building. It can supply the power requirement of at least 2.2 million households.
In a related development, the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has granted the certificate of compliance (COC) of the Burgos wind farm on Feb. 9 to confirm its availment on the feed-in-tariff (FIT) rate of P8.53 per kilowatt hour (kWh) for 20 years.
It was learned that the compliance certificate was the final requirement that the wind farm developer had to secure for seeking settlement of the FIT incentives for the capacity it delivered to the power grid since its operation.
It was reported that the reckoning date for FIT payments for EDC shall be anchored on the certificate of endorsement (COE) earlier bequeathed by the DOE to the project in which the declared commercial commissioning of the two-phased wind plant was November 5, 2014. (MCA/FGL, PIA- 1 Ilocos Norte)
By Cherry Joy D. Garma
LUNGSOD NG LAOAG – Naglaan ng lektyur ang Kagawaran ng Kalusugan o DOH kasama ang Laoag City Health Office (LCHO) sa mga mag-aaral ng day care ukol sa tamang paraan ng pagsisipilyo para mapangalagaan ang ngipin.
Bilang pakikiisa sa selebrasyon ng ‘Oral Health Care Month” sa buwan ng Pebrero, nagtalaga ang DOH ng sabayang pagsisipilyo sa buong region 1 kahapon ng umaga.
Mayroong 750 na mag-aaral sa day care dito ang nakiisa at nakisali sa sabayang pagsisipilyo bilang pagpapakita ng kanilang suporta sa kalusugan ng ngipin.
Bago pa ang ginawang pagsisipilyo, tinuruan muna ang mga bata ng tamang paraan ng pagisispilyo sa pamamagitan ng isang ‘demo-lecture’.
Gamit ang isang malaking modelo ng ngipin at sipilyo, ipinakita sa mga bata ang mga hakbang sa tamang pagsisipilyo mula paglalagay ng ‘toothpaste’ hanggang sa pagmumumog.
Sinabi ni Dr. Ramosito Bernabe, dentista ng Laoag City Health Office na mahalagang matutunan ng mga bata ang tamang paraan ng pagsisiplyo upang maiwasan ang pagkasugat sa bunganga.
“Kapag hindi maayos ang pagsisipilyo, maaring magdulot ito ng injury o sugat sa bunganga imbes na makatulong ito sa pagpapanatili sa kalusugan,” aniya.
Maaari din daw na magdulot ng pagkasira ng ngipin kung mali ang direksiyon na ginagawa sa pagsisipilyo.
“Dapat mula sa taas pababa ang direksiyon at hindi pahalang o horizontal kasi maaaring mapudpod ang ngipin kapag pahalang ang direksiyon ng pagsisipilyo,” dagdag ni Bernabe.
Sinabi naman ni Dr. Renato R. Mateo, hepe ng CHO na malaki ang gampanin ng mga magulang sa pagtuturo sa kanilang mga anak upang mapanatili ang malusog na ngipin.
“Kaya naming sila isinali dito sa programa na ito ay dahil alam naming na sila ang unang makapagtutro sa kanilang mga anak ng tamang pangangalaga sa sarili,” sabi ni Mateo.
Maliban pa dito, itinuro din sa mga magulang ang pag-iwas sa mga pagkaing nakakasira sa ngipin lalo na ang matatamis gaya ng kendi at lollipop kung hindi man daw maiwasan ay magmumog ng tubig agad o magsipilyo.
Ang programang ito ay alinsunod sa “Oral Health Care Month” na may temang “Nakangiti ang Kinabukasan Kapag Ngipin ay Pinangangalagaan” (MCA/CDG, PIA-1, Ilocos Norte)
DAGUPAN CITY – The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has encouraged the faithful to pray for the nation’s peace as Filipinos continue to mourn for the 44 police members of the Special Action Force who were killed in a clash with Moro rebels on January 25 in Mamasapano, Maguindanao.
Archbishop Socrates Villegas, CBCP president, said the situation of the country and the world calls on all faithful to turn to the Lord and gather to pray for peace.
“As the nation continues to grieve over the tragedy in Mamasapano and the family of nations is threatened by war and terror from extremist groups, our best contribution is to encourage people to pray,” said Villegas in his circular dated February 23.
Villegas encouraged the Catholic faithful to pray the Oratio Imperata for Peace. A circular was issued to the clergy and Catholic faithful to make the prayer for peace mandatory.
Oratio Imperata is a Roman Catholic invocative prayer recited in times of natural calamity, war and grave needs of the community.
Villagas requested to pray the Oratio Imperata before the Post Communion Prayer in every mass from March 1 to 28 this year. (MCA/EMBS/PIA-1, Pangasinan)
BY JOANNE NAMNAMA G. PARROCHA
SAN FERNANDO CITY – More senior citizens will be covered by the government’s social pension fund with the approval of a provision lowering the age requirement of qualified indigents from 77 to 65 years old.
Geselle Cipriano, social welfare officer of the Department of Social Welfare and Development in Region 1, said the social pension program will cover more poor elderly individuals from the current record of 39,763 senior citizens in the four Ilocos provinces receiving a monthly support of P500 each.
“We hope that more social pensioners will benefit from this new provision,” said Cipriano.
Based on DSWD records the monthly support is currently enjoyed by elderly citizens in Pangasinan with 21,191; Ilocos Sur with 7,092; La Union with 6,541 and Ilocos Norte with 4,939.
The social pension is one of DSWD’s social protection programs that provides financial assistance to eligible indigent senior citizens.
Cipriano said those qualified are senior citizens who are frail, sickly, or have disabilities; not receiving pension from Social Security System (SSS), Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), or Veterans Pension; and do not have a permanent source of income or regular support from family or relatives.
“Our pensioners commonly use their stipend to buy basic needs such as medicines and food,” Cipriano said.
At present, a total of 125 local government units (LGUs) distribute the financial aid to the indigent senior citizens whose names are officially listed under DSWD’s National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction (NHTS-PR) or in LGU-validated order of payment.
Meanwhile, a program implementation review will be conducted on February 24 to 27 in Baguio City where all focal persons of the Social Pension program nationwide will attend. (MCA/JNP/PIA-1 La Union)
By Freddie G. Lazaro
LAOAG CITY, February 15 (PIA) – The two siblings of slain Philippine National Police-Special Action Force PO2 Omar Nacionales received scholarship grants from the Ilocos Norte provincial government to complete their college education.
Governor Imee Marcos assured the grant after Florencia Nacionales, Omar’s mother, asked support from her for the continuing education of her two children.
The slain SAF member had been supporting the studies of his two siblings.
Marcos said the provincial government will provide the Nacionales siblings school support until they graduate from college.
Earlier, the provincial government gave P100,000 cash assistance to the bereaved family of Nacionales, a native of Barangay Escoda, Marcos, Ilocos Norte.
Another resolution passed by the provincial board recognized the heorism of Nacionales who risked his life to capture two international terrorists on that fateful day of January 25, 2015 in Barangay Tukanalipao, Mamasapano, Maguindanao. (MCA/FGL, PIA- 1 Ilocos Norte)
By Elsha Marie B. Soriano
DAGUPAN CITY – The Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) in Pangasinan will conduct a three-month simultaneous mass vaccination from March to May in order to eliminate human rabies cases in the province.
Dr. Eric Jose Perez, officer-in-charge of the Provincial Veterinary Office (PVO) in Pangasinan, said the massive vaccination aims to provide immunization to the entire province’s dog population and prevent and control rabies incidence in the province in line with the celebration of Rabies Awareness Month in March.
“The massive vaccination is a concerted effort of the Department of Agriculture (DA) in the Ilocos Region, the provincial government of Pangasinan and all line agencies concerned in the rabies prevention and control campaign,” said Perez adding that the vaccine requirement is now subject for funding.
Perez said 70 percent of the 268,200 estimated total dog population in Pangasinan was set as PVO’s target to be immunized last year but only 22 percent or equivalent to 41,772 dogs in the entire province were vaccinated even though vaccination is a year-round activity of his office.
He said despite information-education activities, the lack of public information about rabies risks and how the disease can be prevented and controlled remains a factor to why rabies incidence is high in the province.
“Whenever we conduct dog vaccination, residents in some villages would tell us their dogs do not really need vaccination because their dogs won’t bite (a wrong perceptioon),” explained Perez.
He urged all dog owners to practice responsible ownership and get their pets vaccinated.
Based from PVO data, five human deaths due to rabies have been recorded as of February. In 2014, ten cases of human deaths caused by rabies virus was recorded up from five cases recorded in 2013, said Perez.
Likewise, he said some 33 rabid dog cases were recorded in 2013 and 26 positive rabies cases in 2014.
“Perhaps our rabies prevention and control campaign is still inadequate to educate all the people on the ground,” Perez lamented stressing that people are generally neglecting the value of their efforts to eradicate rabies incidence.
Perez added that rabies is a deadly disease that can be transmitted from animals to humans caused by virus.
“If a person is bitten by an animal, the first thing to do is wash the wound with flowing water and soap, then clean thoroughly with tincture of iodine or alcohol and immediately bring the victim to the animal bite center for treatment and vaccination,” he advised. (MCA/EMBS/PIA-1, Pangasinan)
By Freddie G. Lazaro
LAOAG CITY – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) conferred the first Gawad Listahanan Award to Ilocos Norte for using its Listahanan database in the campaign against poverty.
Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) Corazon Lilian Rin said Saturday that she personally received a plaque and a cash incentive of P50,000 from Secretary Corazon Juliano-Soliman in simple rites at the DSWD’s central office in Manila last January 29.
She said that the Gawad Listahanan or Data Utilization Awards was given by the DSWD to local government units (LGUs) that have registered the most number of beneficiaries in their locally-funded anti-poverty programs in the Listahanan database of poor families through the National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction (NHTS-PR).
“The NHTS-PR database had been used by Governor Imee Marcos as reference in identifying the beneficiaries of her Millenium Development Goal (MDG) localization program in which these recipients were classified as poor, middle poor and get away poor. This was our basis for prioritizing the poorest families by providing them protective services such as medical and dental missions, granting animal dispersal and other services,” Rin explained.
Based on the NHTS- PR record in 2009, a total of 24,980 were listed as poor households in Ilocos Norte.
The NHTS-PR is an information management system that makes available to national government agencies and other social protection stakeholders a database of poor families as reference in identifying potential beneficiaries of social protection programs and services.
During the launching of the MDG localization program in 2010, the province targeted to serve the 246 out of 577 barangays with 10,524 households as initial beneficiaries.
Upon the launching of the Capitol Express ni Manang Imee in 2013, all the poor households in the province were targetted to be served.
As initial result of the MDG localization, the overall poverty incidence rate in Ilocos Norte was reduced from 12.2 percent in 2009 to 9 percent in 2014.
“We have quelled the growth in the poverty numbers, more importantly we have identified the different segments of the poor here in Ilocos Norte, particularly identifying the poor,” Marcos had said.
She said the poor have in their power the skill and the ability and the commitment to break out of poverty through their own efforts with just a little help from the public sector.
“I am hopeful that the change in the poverty map will continue, having less in the coastal areas which we saw in 2010 and dwindling numbers in the interior upland zones,” Marcos added.
Earlier, Secretary Soliman cited Ilocos Norte as the model champion in poverty reduction in Region 1 as Marcos had shown success in her commitment to achieve the primary goals of MDG – the United Nations Development Program’s (UNDP) worldwide initiative to eliminate extreme poverty and promote global partnership for development. (MCA/FGL, PIA -1 Ilocos Norte)