SAN FERNANDO CITY, La Union, Jan 3 (PIA) – The Center for Health Development-Ilocos Health Emergency Management Staff (CHD-1 HEMS) reported a drop in cases of firecracker and stray bullet injuries from the period December 18, 2012 to midnight of January 2, 2013 here in Region 1.
CHD1-HEMS Coordinator Dra. Ma. Racquel R. Magalong said, there were a total of 205 cases of firecracker injuries for said period with 177 male and 28 female victims, and ages ranging from two to 68 years old.
This, Magalong said, was 38 percent lower from the 329 cases in same period last year.
About 112 of this cases were due to illegal firecrackers including Goodbye Philippines. Twenty-four of the 112 victims cannot recall the kind of firecracker they used and almost half were active handlers, she added.
Firecrackers used include: Piccolo-62, kwitis-31, unknown-24, luces-18, five star-18, others-17, whistle bomb-12, pla-pla-8, bawang-6, fountain-4, pill box-3, and Goodbye Philippines-2.
For stray-bullet-victims, there were three cases recorded one each in Tubao, La Union; Sarrat, Ilocos Norte; and Nagbukel, Ilocos Sur. This is lower from that of last year’s 14 cases.
Of the 205 cases in Region, Pangasinan recorded the highest at 90, followed by Ilocos Sur, 44; Ilocos Norte, 38; and La Union, the lowest at 33 cases.
The injuries occured at its height on New Year’s Eve or December 31 until January 1.
Magalong said that the lesser number of injuries was due to the extensive campaign on Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction by the DOH in partnership with the Philippine National Police and the Bureau of Fire Protection. (ANL/MPA-PIA 1 La Union)