VIGAN CITY, Ilocos Sur, July 4 (PIA) — The Provincial Health Office explained the increase in deaths despite the lower number of dengue cases this year.
Dr. Pablo Quedado said there were four deaths of the 155 cases listed in Ilocos Sur from January to June 25 this year. For the same period in 2011, there were two deaths and 248 reported.
According to the doctor, people may have been complacent due to lower number of cases this year.
He said residents may have felt comfortable with the situation and may have not taken enough precautions when the rains started coming.
Quedado added that a number may even have been too late in going to rural health units, as a two-day fever should already prompt every parent to visit a doctor immediately.
As the rainy season starts, he said, residents must start daily segregation of waste, cleaning of house and surroundings, and turning over of water collectors such as cans, plastic cups, and tires.
Last year, local government units (LGUs) like Vigan gave their residents mosquito rackets to kill the dengue-carrying insect. Both material recovery facilities and health centers in the LGUs also doubled their efforts in the prevention and response to the disease.
As dengue fever is fatal and acquirable throughout the year, residents must always follow advisories on health, cleaning and cooperating with the whole community to fight it, Quedado said. (ANL/ICR-PIA 1, Ilocos Sur)